Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Selecting floor of a cavity as sketch plane

michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
I've been muddling through the design of a storage rack for a set of Imperial hex drivers and came across a problem, or perhaps a learning opportunity.  I created rectangular cavities (of varying width and depth) for each of the drivers in a rectangular block, filleted the the side walls of each cavity and wanted to create short ribs across the width of the cavity to act as fulcrums for each driver to help leverage them out of the cavity when they are needed.  Here is a screen grab of the design as it stands now:

And here is the (hopefully) shared public folder with the project:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c9a67963ec7758457ce5ab18/w/26c9e6f759c29277c9b8f9f5/e/c3c0b868955f5d24ef5898c5

The problem is that I wanted to use the floor of each cavity as the sketch plane for the rib but I couldn't find a way to select any of the floors.  Clicking on the floor in an attempt to select it selected the upper face of the cavity instead.

I ended up using the face of each cavity as the rib plane, projecting a rib down to the bottom of the cavity and then using "Second end position" to remove the top of the rib down to the level desired.  Extruding the rib up from the floor of the cavity would have been much simpler but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    Hide “Pocket Centerlines” and try again (or use Select Other on RMB menu to select through it). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, that sure was easy - thanks!