Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Move to Document... Questions

christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
Hello,

I have read quite a few forum posts on moving a tab from one document to another but I am still confused  on the best way to do this.

I am about to release the assembly shown below and I would like to clean up this document so it has only the top level assembly and top level parts in it. I want to create a document for each of the subassemblies and then move the subassemblies with associated parts and drawings to its own document.  

Right now I have a folder for each subassembly and in that folder I have another folder containing all the drawings.

In the Tab Manager, it seems like I can select all the drawings, right click, and then select Move to Document. This should get all parts and sub assemblies and even the parts that I do not have drawings for that are used in the subassembly.

Is this the correct approach or is there a better, more robust, workflow? Also, should this be done before I release the top level? My plan is to release the entire bom at once.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Christopher

Comments

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I think each release candidate can only pull items from a single document. So, if you want to release everything at once, you'll need to keep them in the same document. 

Or, if you do split into multiple documents, you'll need to open up each document to release things individually. I think this would also mean that you need to release things "bottom-up" so that your higher assemblies all reference the appropriate revision of the lower assemblies and components. 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    @tim_hess427 you are right for Onshape Professional - you can only release from one document. Enterprise allows you to release from multiple documents at the same time. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    Thanks @tim_hess427. Can you think of anything that would prevent me from splitting it up after its released? 
  • Options
    alan_baljeualan_baljeu Member, User Group Leader Posts: 111 ✭✭
    A release is an immutable thing. What you do after the release shouldn't affect the release.  But if you do pull apart your document, can you also create a branch that continues the development of your assembly intact?
    Creating knowledge-driven design automation software, for molds, etc.
    www.virtualmold.com