Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Update all dirived functions in a document

onilssononilsson Member Posts: 3 PRO
Hi,

I started using a document with reference sketches to be able to devide a large documunent into several smaller ones
I derive these sketches into the Part Studios that need them

I will end up with a lot of Part Studios using sketches with the same origin, and it allready takes a long time going through every Part Studio to update them before I've even completely implemented this method.

My 1st Idea was to derive the sketches into a New part studio and then derive the sketches from there, this way I'd only need to update the derived functions in one Part Studio
But I discovered you can't derive an already derived Sketch (i thought I could because it's possible with parts).

I trided looking for a solution on the net with no luck

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do ?

My work being confidential, here is a simplified version of my problem
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/de512b6ad285f2a80211d257/w/4ff7ba3567b146b85970d44f/e/ed3f7e10de6ad2736d3d6a4a

There Less parts, and it isn't really any problem to go through every Part Studio in this example
But is there a way to update the derived functions of every part studio without going through them all and potentially forgetting 1 ?

While making the example, I noticed the symbol at the bottom, so if I put them next to each other I might not forget to update any Part Studio
But i'd still like to see a 1-click solution for e.g. when I select an older version

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    I think the only thing you can do here is to either create a zero offset surface of the sketch and derive the surface into other part studios and reference that or you can use the Super Derive feature for the first Part Studio that derives from another doc. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfef86ed4f9635531599a973
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    onilssononilsson Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Thank you for your reply @NeilCooke

Super Derive defenetly seems useful and I'll probably use it now that I know of it, especially with it's abillity to derive variables (somthing I have wanted to do, but hadn't asked on the forum...)
    However, it wasn't able to make derived sketches derivable

Using Zero offset surface, (or even "Fill") seems to be a solution I can use, I just hope it's not too much heavier to compute than derived sketches, but it's worth a shot.

Thank you for your advice