Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Transfering mates across multiple parts

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to have a part that is independently mated to different parts depending its location in the assembly.  For example I want a ball to be tangent to a horizontal conveyor but then tangent to an inclined conveyor once it reaches this location.  Simply just wanting to simulate the balls travel along the conveyor's path.  Thanks!

Best Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    For what you are attempting you will need to make a 'dummy' surface that represents the path the ball takes. Then make  your ball tangent to that.

When you use tangent mate in Onshape it will try to follow all 'smooth' or 'tangent connected' faces of your selection, so, it can't jump from one object to another.
  • Triton_EngineeringTriton_Engineering Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for this John, much appreciated.  Was thinking I would probably have to do something similar to this, just wanted to double check that I wasn't missing anything.  Thanks again!

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    For what you are attempting you will need to make a 'dummy' surface that represents the path the ball takes. Then make  your ball tangent to that.

When you use tangent mate in Onshape it will try to follow all 'smooth' or 'tangent connected' faces of your selection, so, it can't jump from one object to another.
  • Triton_EngineeringTriton_Engineering Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for this John, much appreciated.  Was thinking I would probably have to do something similar to this, just wanted to double check that I wasn't missing anything.  Thanks again!