Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using Part Studio Configurations in an assembly

This is something I'm sure I am missing, but I have spent enough time looking for the solution on my own and it is time to ask for help. 

I am trying to create a configurable table or workbench - whatever.  It is just a configuration training exercise for me but it might turn into a shop project.  I have defined height, width, and length, along with a few other variables in the Part Studio.  I have added configurations in the Part Studio.  Everything works as expected - in the Part Studio.  Now, I am trying to configure an assembly.  The assembly does not even reflect the configuration changes I make in the Part Studio.  AND, I do not have access to the "global" variables I defined in the Part Studio through FeatureScript.  (see youtube video titled "The Featurescript skill every serious Onshape user should have" by OVYL @Evan_Reese )

I am not asking that FeatureScript be written in assembly mode.  There are plenty of comments explaining how that would not fit into the tree structure of part features.  I am not savvy enough to tackle any API.  But, it would make sense that I have access to the Part Studio variables and configuration as I build the assembly.  Configurations are more intuitive in the assembly mode.

Like I said - It is probably some little thing I am missing but I cannot discover it.  

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3018bfb93d21fd6e29adf04f/w/df9c5a80140c305a42e9063e/e/2524ffaa065cb24de5264ea7

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    Hi @John_McCormick
    Glad you watched the video and are using that workflow. The way to get the configurations from the part studio to the assembly is like this. You can also click the 3 dots in the Configuration flyout and "copy table" which can be pasted into a spreadsheet for easier editing. Once you configure the lower level assemblies, you can configure them in the top level the same way. That way your configs cascade up from Part Studio, to Subassembly, and finally Top Level Assembly. It takes a bit of work and I hope Onshape develops a more automated workflow eventually.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl