Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Add Delta PT Screws to Standard Library

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
edited October 2021 in Product Feedback
I can't find any thread-forming screws to go into plastic bosses in the standard content. Consumer electronics products use these all the time, and even hobbyists with 3D printers might want these screws.

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/system-of-measurement~metric/steel-thread-forming-screws-for-thin-plastic/
https://www.ejot.com/Industrial-Fasteners-Division/Products/DELTA-PT®/p/VBT_DELTA_PT

Comments

• Options
    Frederik_SkovgaardFrederik_Skovgaard Member Posts: 8
    This is definitely something that would be great to have as a standard part. 
  • Options
    Jon_HJon_H Member Posts: 29 PRO
    I just spent an hour downloading, uploading, renaming and adding properties for one single Ø of one single Delta PT reference in different lengths. Would be really great to have this in the standard library.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I use torx plus™ from Mcmaster but would gladly switch to a standard library part.

Anything that'll hold plastic together is fine with me. The torx plus™ allows you to remove & re-insert many times before stripping the threads out. I'll get some delta pt, I'm sure they'll be fine.

I voted delta pt up.
  • Options
    @billy sorry only seeing your answer now, I guess this is the challenge on Onshape's side is they likely don't want (and probably shouldn't) push a specific products, and since there are no independent standards (afaik) for self-tapping screws it's difficult.

What you're showing doesn't describe the thread through, Torx Plus is an "improved" version of the classic Torx drive, but it doesn't have any impact on the thread itself. Delta PT is EJOT's proprietary thread, and they do provide Torx as well as Torx Plus drives as well.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @Jon_H thanks for the update. The trademarked stuff might not be good to have in your proprietary library.

I was looking into creating a library so trademarked stuff could be added to the standard content by outside individuals, but didn't find any references to "How to do this". Could a supplier easily add a library to OS's standard content? It's surprising to me that after 10 years no manufacturers have built parts inside OS for me to use. I'm still downloading McMaster & searching grab cad for models. 3D content central has the 8020 parts catalog and it would be much easier if their catalog was in a OS standard library.

I was thinking that if manufacturers created their own libraries, possibly they could monitor future sales forecasts which would make manufacturing easier for them. If they could monitor how many products were in a design cue, could they forecast production quantities? Also, they could easily handle model changes and a components life cycle. They could bump price changes so BOM's were accurate. They could supply assemblies that work so I don't have to build an air cylinder that actually goes in/out.  It seems like a good idea to have them control their parts/assemblies that they're selling to me.

I've always wondered what impact cloud cad would have on the supply chain and its suppliers.

• Options
    I've always wondered what impact cloud cad would have on the supply chain and its suppliers.
    I think they just haven't gotten the memo yet :disappointed:

But I agree with you, and it's probaby doable right now buy using configurations. You'd need to model the screw in Onshape to have the most flexibility with configs, but doing that and then making the document public would allow anyone to access it and configure it, it's also possible to make custom properties to tag it as a COTS item. Alternatively the manufacturer could also make it the document private and then require you to will a form on their website to get access (becauce their sales team will want that to then harass you by email)
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    I understand not wanting “standard” content to become a big licensing or advertising ordeal, but some things like PEMs are the default, and Onshape is supporting them. 

Anyway, I thought there was a JIS or DIN standard for thread formers for plastic.
  • Options
    Anyway, I thought there was a JIS or DIN standard for thread formers for plastic.
    The only one I know about is ISO 15480 but that's for formint threads into metals, not plastics. To be knowledge the closer thing that exists to a standard is PT threads, and when it comes to ubiquitous things like that I agree it's probably ok to include it as a standard component.