Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

commercialization dilemma

GTSeidlerGTSeidler OS Professional Posts: 4 PRO
Hello,

I'm a faculty member at a research university and have an onshape account.  My institution (with my permission) wants to license the CAD that my group has developed in onshape to a commercial entity.  This is best done if one or more documents can be copied (rather than shared) and that copy is put into ownership of the onshape account of the commercial entity.  Is this a standard service, or is there some way to share and then transfer ownership of a file?  If not. can it be arranged for a fee?  Simply sharing the document causes all kinds of legal headaches, greatly complicating the licensing process. 

Best Answers

Answers

• matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    Ownership transfer seems like it would be a good feature to have.  What is the current workflow for people doing contracting work, once the project is finished?
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @_4383 - While sharing the document may not be a viable long term solution for your licensing agreement, you can give your commercial entity their own copy of the Onshape document by first sharing it with them and then having them copy the workspace to create their own document.  You can then remove their access to the original document.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @_4383 - While sharing the document may not be a viable long term solution for your licensing agreement, you can give your commercial entity their own copy of the Onshape document by first sharing it with them and then having them copy the workspace to create their own document.  You can then remove their access to the original document.
    @abefeldman Would this remove the history of the document as it has been developed?
    @pete_yodis - yes, it's the same copy workspace workaround that's being used to decrease document size at this point and would only give your client access to a single workspace.  This is just a workaround.

We are actively working on the ability to transfer ownership from one user to another, but given @_4383 's original question, that still might not be sufficient.  The right answer here might actually be a combination of transfer and a yet undefined "copy document" feature that includes all of the workspaces, versions and history.

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
    edited September 2015
    @pete_yodis - yes, it's the same copy workspace workaround that's being used to decrease document size at this point and would only give your client access to a single workspace.  This is just a workaround.

We are actively working on the ability to transfer ownership from one user to another, but given @_4383 's original question, that still might not be sufficient.  The right answer here might actually be a combination of transfer and a yet undefined "copy document" feature that includes all of the workspaces, versions and history.

Thanks @abefeldman It sounds like there are needs for copy with full history and copy without history, while all being able to be accomplished within or  between account entities.  Correct?

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Please add me to "copy entire document" also.
    Thanks
    Correct.  I can add you all to the "copy entire document" improvement if you'd like, since it's the only thing here that's not being actively worked on yet.

Thanks @abefeldman You can add me to the list, if you remember too.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please add me to "copy entire document" also.
    Thanks 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for me too, copying without history could be left out completely if you implement purge history at some point..
    //rami
    I created an improvement for everyone to vote on, since there seems to be a lot of interest

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1683/copy-entire-document-with-history
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • GTSeidlerGTSeidler OS Professional Posts: 4 PRO
    Please do include me on any posts/info related to this problem.  I'll also point out that in the long term there is a second, related issue.  The new corporate entity wants to do collaborative design with clients.  However, to do so, it is best that the clients have shared access but do not have the right to copy the workspace into a new document.  Any thoughts on that one?  The IP issues involved in collaborative design require pretty much all permutations of possible rights to view, edit, or copy, in addition to isolation (or permission to see) the history of the workspace.