Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Simple drawing tools?

jack_erhartjack_erhart Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
Ok, I hope I don't ruffle any feathers here. But I come from a very simple design program called SketchUp. And for the life of me, I can't seem to simply find a way to bring up a blank document and start drawing in 2D or 3D. Is that not possible on this platform?

I would also like to be able to import an AutoCAD 2D dxf file, and start drawing on it because I can snap to the points, and then pull up 3D geometry.

Is that not possible either?

Please direct me to any tutorials. Appreciate the help.

Comments

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Welcome to Onshape!

I recommend starting with some of the self-guided courses available at learn.onshape.com.

Specifically, the Introduction to CAD course may be helpful to get familiar with parametric 3D CAD. The Onshape Fundamentals course is also good if you have a bit more experience (although it's targeted at people coming from other parametric CAD systems).

Here is how to import a DXF into a sketch: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/insertdwgordxf.htm

The way Onshape works is a bit different from SketchUp. Hopefully these resources help you get started!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Thank you. One thing I did notice is that the insert window is to big, and you can not see the functions at the botttom of the box. Can that be resized or something?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    @jack_erhart - sounds like you either have a low resolution monitor or your browser is zoomed in a little? The only way to resolve this currently is to zoom the browser out until you can see the bottom of the dialog.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thank you. One thing I did notice is that the insert window is to big, and you can not see the functions at the botttom of the box. Can that be resized or something
  • Options
    Thanks Neil. I will give that a shot.