Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Color change in operation

maciekmaciek OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
edited October 2021 in Product Feedback
Hi, I saw there was a request from 2015 to make it, but still it's not made. Could you make face/solid/surface appearance as operation like for example Sketch or Extrude? Color making is not parametrical so far and for me it's quite annoyng, because for example I can't make color changes in Configuration, or just simple when I delete some operations colors still exist in some faces.

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @maciek can you be more specific? Appearances can be added to faces and features now and can be changes with configurations. (under config properties).
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    maciekmaciek OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    Of course, sorry for long delay. For example I want to change color after extrude. So I would like to put this operation (color changing) before extrude operation.
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can set a color to a feature

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    I made a feature that can do this. Here are some reasons to use it over the native color tools (which I still use for things):
    - It can be useful for configuring the color without having to configure every possible permutation.
    - I also like it to color faces when it makes sense in the feature tree. Sometimes if you color a bunch of things at the end, then roll your tree back some of the faces will maintain the color in ways that are confusing to look at.
    - It also gives you some other input methods like Hue, Saturation, Luminance.
    - you can color EVERYTHING in your studio at once, and only choose what not to color. I used this when designing a shed I built so all of the parts would look like wood even though there were new panels and beams being added all the time.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Nice. I like your icon, Could I used it?
    You can add RAL colors too. See my old RAL Color FS 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11786/new-fs-set-color-also-ral-color
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común