Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I change the drawing template?

don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
Is it possible to change the drawing template once you've selected the template and created the drawing? In my example I would like to change out the D size template.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/81c818868c0146398dda98f6/w/51a1113c653340f8a689391c/e/a1e5690762d940dd9064a04e

Comments

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @don_howe in order to modify a template you have to export the drawing tab as DXF (Haven`t personally tried DWG extension). Then open the downloaded file in a software like draftsight or similar, modify the template, save to your local drive and then imported back to OS. Here is a link with the steps, be aware OS does not have a DWT extension as mentioned in the instructions below, I used DXF.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/templates-custom.htm
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Thanks I will look into the custom template. So lets say I get a custom template how would I delete the D size and bring in my new one?
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @ don_howe, You can't insert the drawings in the D size template into new template.You have to do the drawings again in new template and by clicking right mouse button on D size template you can delete that template.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    @Narayan_K,  In other words, I have to start my drawing over again? OK, I accept this for my situation. However, this could be painful in other circumstances. Imagine you start to dimension a part and realize that things are getting crowded. I guess you could always change the scale but what if you don't want to do that, what if it needs to be a certain scale? To delete the drawing is to delete all your dimensions when all you really want to do is swap out the template for a bigger template or custom template. Suppose you start with a B size and after reflection you say this really should be on a C size. Onshape's approach would send all your work up in smoke! Onshape needs to have the means to replace a template with out sacrificing your work. (IMHO)
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ don_howe,At this moment Onshape don't have such capability of copy your drawings into new template or changing the existing template.Hope Onshape will introduce these in future updates.