Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Points of reference on a mesh (or part) not moving when using Transform

Cobalt_EchoCobalt_Echo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Community Support
I've been using imported meshes for reference but this seems to also happen when using regular sketching/drawing/parts/etc.

When using Transform on a Part, none of the previous points used as a reference move with the transform.  Even when moving the transform in the timeline/rollback/feature area.

I made a sample document:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e01080015536adccc0b6f383/w/00640a57aa01691b91685556/e/614131b1a61d1e0941c5a9af

Let me know if there is any more info needed, I really appreciate any assistance.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Transform acts on the body only - if you want the sketch to move with it, edit the sketch and move that and the body will move with it.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    NeilCooke said:
    Transform acts on the body only - if you want the sketch to move with it, edit the sketch and move that and the body will move with it.
    That would be fine for something this simple, but not when you have a ton of stuff built off a reference mesh.

When you use points on a body/object as a reference, those points should move when the body/object moves.

The timeline events have to happen in order?  So if the Transform happens before the sketch, any proceeding sketch should be effected.
  • Options
    Transform acts on the body only - if you put the Transform feature directly after the mesh then all downstream references will update.
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Transform acts on the body only - if you put the Transform feature directly after the mesh then all downstream references will update.
    That's what I thought too.  My transform is right after the import.  If you go back and adjust the transform, none of the downstream reference are updating.
  • Options
    I see import then sketch then transform? The transform needs to go before the sketch. 
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    edited October 2021
    Transform > Sketch
    Update the Transform > Sketch does not update

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Ok, so this is a limitation rather than a bug. Apparently, mesh vertices are not deterministic (meaning they are not permanently identifiable) so it’s not possible to maintain the relation. It would therefore be better to determine the position of your mesh before commencing any design work or set up a feature that collects the references you want then use that for all downstream features. If the mesh changes then you only have to edit one feature to update the entire model. 
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    It would therefore be better to determine the position of your mesh before commencing any design work or set up a feature that collects the references you want then use that for all downstream features.
    That sounds great until you have a ton a stuff done, only to realize the mesh is out of position a little (my current situation).  But I do appreciate the info!