Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

"Add selection to folder..." missing when it should be available

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
If I select instances which include subassemblies, "Add selection to folder..." only shows up if I don't also select the instances under the subassemblies. The minute I do, the menu item goes away. This is really annoying when I have a zillion things I want to add to a folder and some are parts and some are subassemblies. (This is from importing ECAD which I don't control).

To be clear, I would like both selections shown below to allow me to "Add selection to folder..." and do the same thing.

Discrete selection works:

Continuous selection doesn't:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    That behaviour is unlikely to change as it is not possible to add parts in a subassembly to a folder in the top level assembly. I know you already know that and you want Onshape to understand your intent, but if we enabled that behaviour it would confuse users trying to do the opposite of what you want. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I’m fine if it won’t let me put parts from subassemblies into folders without selecting the subassembly itself. I’m also fine if I select the subassembly and only some of the parts and then it won’t go into a folder. 

Another way around this would be if Onshape had the equivalent of Solidworks shift-c to collapse the subassemblies. 

I ended up using the “:assembly” filter tool to just select 0201 assemblies to put in a folder.

I honestly was very confused why the folder option didn’t show up. It makes more sense now, but since this is a new feature, it’s weird feeling like I just saw that command on a menu but now it’s missing. I had to read through the right click menu over and over to realize that the command was missing.