Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Making 3D Sketches

feiyu_wu934feiyu_wu934 Member Posts: 1 EDU
Hi! I'm currently a high school student and I've been designing a 3D model sketch for my go-kart school project. I can't figure out how to get rid of the grey shaded areas and it looks very unprofessional. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? 

Answers

• Options
    Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
    Hi Feiyu, the gray shaded areas are telling you that those are closed sketches and this is intended functionality to differentiate between open and closed sketches
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    in addition - you should be using solids to represent the 3D components. Make a sketch and then extrude each shape.  Once you have that, you can display it in different formats like shaded or transparent.  See the Learning Center for great tutorials.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    If you haven't already, check out the Beams custom feature. You might find the custom feature useful. It will help take your sketch lines and turn them into tubing!

Here's a short article about the beams feature and how to use it.

Good luck with your project!