Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Enable "Move to Folder" and "Suppress" for Parts and Assemblies in Subassemblies

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
edited January 2022 in Product Feedback
Folder operations and Suppress/Unsuppress only work on instances in the current assembly. Even though you can hide/show and do other things to instances that are further down the tree, you can't create folders or suppress/unsuppress without opening up that level. It seems like a lot of extra work.

I get that if I try to put Part 2, Part 4 and Part 5 in a new folder that would be a little weird, but since folders only exist at the assembly level, Onshape could be smart enough to add new folders to Assembly A, B and C all with the same name and the respective parts. Certainly if I selected Part 2, 4 and 5 and right clicked and suppressed, this should be possible.

• Assembly A
    • Part 1
    • Part 2
    • Sub-Assembly B
      • Part 3
      • Part 4
    • Sub-Assembly C
      • Part 5
      • Part 6

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @S1mon This suggestion might be possible when everything lives in the same document but not if those sub assemblies are from other documents and linked to a version.  We want to avoid two different capabilities depending on version. This is why folders have to live a the top where you always have edit permission.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    @lougallo

I get wanting to avoid different capabilities depending on document location/version. It just feels a lot more restrictive than it needs to be. I'd like to get more work done in one place instead of having to open up a bunch of windows. Solidworks allows suppress/unsuppress etc from a top level. Maybe some things need to be grayed out or some other indication when they're not live in the same document...
  • Options
    johan_kotze883johan_kotze883 Member Posts: 1
    I have a related (but hopefully simpler) question. I am in an assembly with my parts and would like to group them so they are easier to work with ( hide/show etc.), so I created folders in the assembly to "group" related parts. It works fine but is see no way to move a selection of parts into the folder all at once. I can only drag them into the folder, which is very tedious. I was expecting a "Move to..." option under the right mouse button of any selected part, or group of parts. Or is there another way please?