Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

wierd differences between assemblies

I'm creating a tool that will be using a timing belt drive.  One gear has 50 teeth and the other has 625 teeth.  I was able to create the 50-tooth gear in a part studio, but decided to assemble the 625 with a gear blank of the correct diameter and a circular repetition of 625 teeth for the larger gear.  you can see this in https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5932a5e2741361a09f80e347/v/0e5e69eeb8eb0ec1d893dd00/e/79962625bc05bfeb1b86ba6d
In the "Assembly 625 tooth gear" you can see the assembled gear blank + 625 teeth.
In "Assembly 1", you can see the gear from the previous assembly. 
I dont understand the difference.  I noticed the difference in colors in "Assembly 625 tooth gear", and wonder about their significance, but there were no errors or warnings.
But when I see the toothless gray disc in "Assembly 1", surrounded by the teeth at about double the spacing, I wonder.

This is the "Assembly 625 tooth gear":

This is the resulting assembly with the weird separate teeth in a circle above the disc.

this is the "Assembly 1"

Best Answers

• SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    I think I would do that as a feature pattern in the part studio, since this is really all one gear. But if you want to do it in an assembly, you have to fix the teeth in place in the sub assembly, before you add it to the larger assembly.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    if it was a feature pattern it should be less likely to freeze. but if you did the pattern in a sketch, then that would certainly cause an unresponsive model.

If the feature pattern is causing you trouble, then maybe you could make a 25 tooth pattern, then pattern that 25 times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Answers

• SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    I think I would do that as a feature pattern in the part studio, since this is really all one gear. But if you want to do it in an assembly, you have to fix the teeth in place in the sub assembly, before you add it to the larger assembly.

• russ_humphreyruss_humphrey Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Thank you!  I guess I missed that detail in the videos I watched.
    And regarding incorporating the tooth in the design studio - I was able to do that with a 50-tooth sprocket, but the page just froze when I tried the same with 625 teeth - this was using the circular pattern tool - is there another tool I could use instead?
    Thanx again.
    Answer ✓
    if it was a feature pattern it should be less likely to freeze. but if you did the pattern in a sketch, then that would certainly cause an unresponsive model.

If the feature pattern is causing you trouble, then maybe you could make a 25 tooth pattern, then pattern that 25 times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • russ_humphreyruss_humphrey Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Yes - it was a sketch circular pattern.  And now I finally get the difference between a sketch pattern, feature pattern and assembly pattern. So thank you!
    I was able to do it as a feature pattern in the part studio (pat self on back)
    Thanx again.
    Awesome,
    next step is to learn the performance differences between the different feature patterns :p

I believe it's: Face > Part > Feature   ranked fastest to slowest