Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Curve Generation Quality?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
edited October 2021 in Product Feedback
I know that I can manually adjust the tessellation of parts in a part studio (I normally leave it on "auto").

What can I do about sketches and curves? To me, having an arc show up as two blatant straight line segments is a big fail that should be reserved for Playskool CAD:

I get that there are performance trade-offs to be made, but this is deeply sad. Other systems have detailed adjustments over max segment length or angle. Even something simple like the tessellation quality options (Auto, Coarse, Medium, Fine, Very fine) would be better than nothing.

The above was part of a part studio with imported stuff and various parts. Just to double check, I created a brand new public document/part studio, and made a very simple sketch. What's really ridiculous is that the arc has two segments, but the extension line has 4. They're roughly the same length. The arc should have at least 4 segments if not more, or at the very least I should have the option to make this not look like garbage.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @S1mon Today there are many ways we try to balance speed vs quality.  This can show up for sketches and curves when their curvature is very large compared to other data in the graphics area (simplifying here).  However we do want to provide ways to override this when it matters.  This is purely graphic and is not the model itself.  With that being said, we plan on addressing this in the future and I can make sure you are on the request.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    @lougallo
    I totally get that this "purely graphic", and I'm glad that it will be addressed in the future. 

In Solidworks, there's a little red section of the image quality slider (essentially turn up the quality to 11). That's partially there because I bugged @mark_biasotti about how Pro/E looked much better than Solidworks back then for the same exact model, and the lack of ability to dial this in made it hard to do industrial design CAD.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...