Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

iPhone performance

steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2021 in Onshape Mobile

I was reading the post about the new M1 Pro and M1 Max. It made me curious.

Curious because I’m interested in the Max. But I was also curious to see how my iPhone stacks up graphics wise

Now I don’t have the tools the desktop version has for checking how powerful your hardware is

But @john_mcclary gave me an idea

So I was wondering if I would be able to use my iPhones Screen Recording app, and my iPhone video editor — LumaFusion — to see if I could get any kind of info regarding performance of Onshape mobile running on my iPhone 8 Plus — a piece of hardware that was released 4 years ago

I’m taking a guess that the iPhone’s screen recording app works at 60 frames per second

My video editor said that the screen recording I made of John‘s guitar, went up to just under 55 frames per second. But I thought I’d make sure.

So I selected a one second portion of the video screen recording, and put markers in every 10 frames. And it showed that I was getting 50 frames per second on what I randomly selected

Now as John had mentioned, his GIF did not show how smooth the video capture was. And I had the same experience. My GIF app only allows me to make 30 FPS maximum GIFs. My original video screen capture does look smoother.

First item below gives a little idea of the type of Internet connection I have

Second item below shows frame rate at the time of the video capture

The third item (GIF) below allows you to count each frame of a one second portion of the entire clip. It came to 50 FPS

The fourth item is a GIF that’s only playing at 30 frames per second because that’s the limitation of my GIF making app. So what you see is the actual speed of the original video capture. In other words — that’s how fast the guitar was spinning around when I did the original capture. But what you’re seeing is a video that has dropped every other frame. So it doesn’t look as smooth as the original

Now I would be curious to see how this works on a larger document.

But, all in all, I think the Onshape engineers have done an amazing job.