Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Boolean confusion - How to get models/features to merge into one unified body

trevor_curtistrevor_curtis Member Posts: 5 EDU
I had a similar problem in another thread: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16776/impossible-in-onshape-but-possible-in-autodesk-ipt-boolean-operation-failed-to-return-a-valid-part#latest

I feel that I understand the past issue now, however, there is another issue I'm having that I hope someone can help me with. As an introduction to lofting, I have my students create pumpkins in CAD. In the past, I have been able to create one segment of pumpkin skin and then circular pattern that segment until all the segments have created what looks like a pumpkin. I ran into a snag where I can sometimes ADD the segments together to merge them into one part and other times, I can't. I've included a link to the models in OnShape here: 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2996b4869e6ae6a1f98ae262/w/3ab433c71f9ed952285deffb/e/f5720cdbfa7b182cf1734ab0?renderMode=0&uiState=617074067502f717b654cf3a

One one pumpkin model that I named, "can ADD", it looks like this when I try to add the parts together in the circular pattern:

The other pumpkin model that I named, "won't add", looks like this when I try to add the parts together in the circular pattern and it fails to create the pattern:

The model that doesn't work is one of my student's models but this problem happens to some people and not others. They are practically identical models but one works and the other does not. I sometimes am able to get it to work by shifting the points on the spline in sketch one but it does not always work. I think if I knew the reason that it is happening, then I can instruct my students on how to avoid the issue. I feel like I have a lot of issues when trying to combine models or features together in OnShape. OnShape seems to be built around the concept of creating multiple parts within a studio as though you are pre-assembling them. I came from years of using Inventor and in that program your part files are separate entities and only come together in an assembly. In Inventor, each part is built as though it will be created out of one solid piece of material. Since moving to OnShape, I find that there are often issues I run into when merging different features so that they are united and joined together. Anyway, thank you to anyone who can explain what I am missing.

Comments