Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to rotate all objects around X-axis by 90 degrees

matha_goram144matha_goram144 Member Posts: 11 EDU
Hello,

This is an elementary newbie question, sorry. I received a SolidWorks STEP file that I would like to rotate around the X-axis by 90 degrees to make Z-axis vertical. Is there a quick way to do this? Thanks.

Kind regards.

Best Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Editing the import feature should impact downstream features/actions, including exporting. But if the orientation still isn't what you need, you can use a Transform feature to reorient parts/bodies however you like.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    @matha_goram144 , here's what the icons for the part and sketch transform features look like, respectively

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Yes, edit the import feature and select Y-axis up
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Doesn't that simply change the view of the objects? When I export the corresponding OBJ (or any other format), the original orientation persists. I'm misunderstanding something here, sorry.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Editing the import feature should impact downstream features/actions, including exporting. But if the orientation still isn't what you need, you can use a Transform feature to reorient parts/bodies however you like.
  • Options
    TRANSFORM is exactly what I need. How do I access it using the Educator version? I see Insert in the toolbar but I cannot change it to Sketch (which is where presumably TRANSFORM will appear in the adjacent toolbar strip). Any suggestions, please?
  • Options
    How do I access TRANSFORM using the Educator version? I see Insert in the toolbar but I cannot change it to Sketch (which is where presumably TRANSFORM will appear in the adjacent tool
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
    @matha_goram144

Importing with Y up doesn’t just change the view, it orients the parts with respect to the origin and planes differently.

Transform is in all versions of Onshape. There’s a transform tool in sketch mode and one in part studio mode. In the desktop version, some tools are grouped together and will be in a drop down menu from the toolbar.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    @matha_goram144 , here's what the icons for the part and sketch transform features look like, respectively

• Options
    Once again, @mahir, many, many thanks. Sincerely, appreciate the details you have provided. I'm not going to ask any more questions until I have done more hands-one exercises. I have started taking the online classes for Onshape. I really need to devote some time on doing the basics simply because I feel like Rip van Winkle.

Kind regards.