Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Golberg polyhedron

carter_rcarter_r Member Posts: 4 EDU
Does anyone know how to create golberg polyhedron?

Best Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,406 PRO
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    It looks like there are a lot of flavors of Goldberg Polyhedrons, so you're going to need to be more specific.

Is your goal to create a parametric model or just to have a model?

If you haven't seen this already, there's a great site which allows you to explore polyhedra, it might give you some ideas.

Linked off of there, I found this which could be useful if you want to download the coordinates and then come up with some featurescript to create the shape in Onshape.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    @carter_r

Sorry, I'm just good at Google and collecting interesting CAD/geometry links.

There's a public FeatureScript that makes a lot of different polyhedra, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get what you want out of it. There's another FeatureScript which handles Convex Polyhedrons, but the comments are all in Russian. It apparently takes an unordered set of points, and creates a polyhedron from that. Maybe between these two, you'll get some ideas...

There's a thread about the two FeatureScripts.

If I had to do this myself, I'd start with the most simple polyhedron you want, and try to write some FeatureScript that would take the coordinates info from the dmccooey.com site, and build surfaces. One clue is that offset surface of 0, with a sketch as an input will create a flat surface.

These polyhedra all have some symmetries and patterns, so you really only need to build parts of the polyheadra and then figure out how to pattern it.

Answers

• Options
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    It looks like there are a lot of flavors of Goldberg Polyhedrons, so you're going to need to be more specific.

Is your goal to create a parametric model or just to have a model?

If you haven't seen this already, there's a great site which allows you to explore polyhedra, it might give you some ideas.

Linked off of there, I found this which could be useful if you want to download the coordinates and then come up with some featurescript to create the shape in Onshape.
  • Options
    carter_rcarter_r Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Thank you for helping,

in a site linked to the polyhedron visualization site you gave me I found dual geodesic icosahedra http://dmccooey.com/polyhedra/DualGeodesicIcosahedra.html

these are the shape that I would like to create. Do you have suggestions on how to take the information in this site to create the e polyhedron in onshape?

again thanks for responding, I’ve 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    @carter_r

Sorry, I'm just good at Google and collecting interesting CAD/geometry links.

There's a public FeatureScript that makes a lot of different polyhedra, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get what you want out of it. There's another FeatureScript which handles Convex Polyhedrons, but the comments are all in Russian. It apparently takes an unordered set of points, and creates a polyhedron from that. Maybe between these two, you'll get some ideas...

There's a thread about the two FeatureScripts.

If I had to do this myself, I'd start with the most simple polyhedron you want, and try to write some FeatureScript that would take the coordinates info from the dmccooey.com site, and build surfaces. One clue is that offset surface of 0, with a sketch as an input will create a flat surface.

These polyhedra all have some symmetries and patterns, so you really only need to build parts of the polyheadra and then figure out how to pattern it.