Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Linking properties or attributes to other properties

I wanted to know how you can link properties to other properties.

In general I need to understand how you can pull properties such as Mass (or thickness or anything really) and use it as part of another property.

Specifically I am looking to use the onshape generated part number and apply my own prefixes to it as I need more than just parts, assemblies, and drawing specification depending on the type of part it is.

I also want it to be protected from being edited once it is generated, which doesn't appear possible with the native part generation though I may be mistaken.

The end goal would, for one part, end up being named P-["Serial #"].  Others depending on how it was made could be W-["Serial #"] for example.

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    edited December 2021
    You can create a feature to push information into a part's properties (meta data)
    But you cannot read that data in another feature.

So variables or separate features that control the meta-data independently can be used and interchanged between part studios etc.
    Then at the end of the tree you have a feature that writes all the data to the part.
    for example a custom feature that will read the volume and then you choose a mass to multiply it with.

This is what I do most of the time, and it works great.

But there is no way to make things read only.
    In fact, if you hand edit any of the parameters, it will override any feature you created. The only way to reset the property is to purge all of the properties, then fill in the properties that were supposed to be hand typed.

which is the main reason they added the 'reset all' button to the properties window