Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to lof this

nyholkunyholku Member Posts: 58 PRO
I'm trying to model following with loft, it is a feature on an engine oil pan. I'm trying to use the yellow line as the guide, but it won't generate. If I replace that yellow line (which is a line+arc) with a single arc or single line then then loft generates using that as a guide.

So what are the rules here, how should I create the guide line or how should I model this.

Tagged:

Comments

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    yes, there is a rule here, now we can not choose any guild  which includes lines and arcs and so on , but when you are drawing the guide, you can use "spline" here,we can choose any spline as guide line
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    kustaa_2 said:
    I'm trying to model following with loft, it is a feature on an engine oil pan. I'm trying to use the yellow line as the guide, but it won't generate. If I replace that yellow line (which is a line+arc) with a single arc or single line then then loft generates using that as a guide.

So what are the rules here, how should I create the guide line or how should I model this.

@kustaa_2 : actually you can use a string of lines and arcs as a guide curve in Onshape, provided:

1) the endpoints are constrained coincident (it is not enough for them merely to occupy the same location)
    2) there are no other entities in the sketch (other than points and construction lines)
    3) you must select the sketch from the feature list. The loft will not be created if you choose the entities from the graphics window. In other words, it must show in the "guide curves" list as "Sketch x", not "edges of Sketch x"

• nyholkunyholku Member Posts: 58 PRO
    Thanks! The 3rd rule was golden! Now it lofts beautifully...
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    actually you can use a string of lines and arcs as a guide curve in Onshape, provided:

1) the endpoints are constrained coincident (it is not enough for them merely to occupy the same location)
    2) there are no other entities in the sketch (other than points and construction lines)
    3) you must select the sketch from the feature list. The loft will not be created if you choose the entities from the graphics window. In other words, it must show in the "guide curves" list as "Sketch x", not "edges of Sketch x"

Tool tip material, thanks @andrew_troup

//rami
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    andrew_troup said:
    actually you
    can use a string of lines and arcs as a guide curve in Onshape, provided:
    @andrew_troup , thank you! for valuable point

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    andrew_troup,I did not notice that we can select the guide lines from feature list, Onshape has updated it!your points about loft are valuable, thanks very much!