Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing Creo 7.0 Assemblies?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
I have successfully imported Solidworks assemblies and some simple (older) Pro/E Wildfire assemblies from native files. I have also imported Creo 7.0 assemblies as STEP files.

Has anyone successfully imported Creo 7.0 assemblies from native files (in a correctly named .zip with all the assembly and part files)?

I put in a ticket today when I received this message:

I can import individual files from the assembly, or at least I tried one and it worked.

The support person asked what CAD system the files were from?!? I have to say this is scary from someone who works at PTC. Just the naming of the files gives it away, and opening them with a text editor will tell you in the file header:

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    There are sometimes issues with Creo's version numbering of files.

Try:
    • renaming the ZIP to asm_scooter_b2.zip, or
    • renaming the assembly to asm_scooter_b2.asm and rename the zip as above
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO

@NeilCooke
    Thanks! 

The first mitigation (removing the ".asm.1" from the Zip file name) worked. I will try this with some other files and see how it goes.

I suppose it's not too surprising, but I get different but mostly similar geometry import errors depending on if I'm using a STEP vs native Creo. Also the order of the subassemblies/parts in the instance list is reversed from STEP to native.

The geometry import errors are not shocking, but what can be done about them? They don't seem to prevent sectioning or doing some modifications to the parts, but all the red in the tree gives me PTSD from trees of blood in Solidworks. Should I be concerned?