Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to Lock the Z-axis of the part, when using the mouse to rotate the view of the part?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
Hello 
When using your mouse to rotate the part, is there any way to "genuinely" lock the part so that the view can ONLY rotate around the Z-axis of the part itself?

Holding down Alt + RMB is doing something different... (It does keep Z-direction lines vertical, however also allows you to "pull the Z-axis of the part towards you" as is were...)

J

Comments

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I answered this on your other post here
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    daniel_eckerdaniel_ecker Member Posts: 5
    I know this is old, but I was looking for the same info and learned about Alt + RMB here. While there is no native way to spin perfectly around the Z-axis, I learned from testing a bit that the axis of rotation is consistently based off of where you click with the RMB. So if you hold Alt and click and hold as close as you can to the Z-axis, you can basically get the desired behavior.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    After many years, this has been added as a preference.