Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Name Imported Part from Filename

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
edited January 2022 in Product Feedback
It seems really silly that I import a single body .SLDPRT into Onshape into its own Part Studio and the name in the instance list is "Part 1". If there's only one imported file and body per part studio, can't Onshape save me copy/pasting or mistyping the name into the instance list? Certainly for other cases, importing needs to play dumb and give generic names, but in this case, it would be really straightforward to save me some time.

For one file, it's not a big deal, but if I grab a bunch of .SLDPRTs and import them all at the same time into an Onshape document, I just get a bunch of "Part 1".

Instance list in a part studio:

Assembly made in Onshape from 4 different imported parts, all called "Part 1":

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @S1mon I am not able to reproduce this. I will pull a ticket and take a closer look.  Most of the time it does preserve it. I would need to know what version of SW and have a test file so I can bug this.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.