Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't pick the entity I need to in a sketch, and move it???

robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 89 PRO
So some times a sketch gets messy. I need to pull a vertex out of a given position to re-constrain it to something else. or untangle a knot of entities. But, turns out there are a few other edges and vertex's all in the same place.
I've tried to use the @ key, to confirm the selection right?
That allows me to select the entity I need... but I don't want to delete it, I just need to move it out the way. But when I try and drag it, it just selects the entity on the "top" of the stack again. Which I can't move as its fully constrained. Any one else been here? 
Am I missing something? 
Is there a nudge keyboard shortcut or anything? to just bring it out the way of the other things so I can sort it all out and put it back together again please??? 

Also, While I'm asking, is there a short cut to move the roll bar fwd and backwards by one feature in tree? 

Thanks
R

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a "nudge" shortcut or anything. You could try using a dimension to move the point. You can use the "Select Other" shortcut to select the point, then select and delete any constraints you want to get rid of. Then, select the dimension tool and click somewhere in the sketch for first end of the dimension on something fixed. Then, with the dimension tool still active, you can use "Select other" again to place the second end of the dimension on the point you want to move. 

Once you have the dimension in place, you can edit the dimension to move the point. 

But, if you're going through all of that, it might just be easier to delete things and re-draw them in the proper place. 
  • robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 89 PRO
    Ok, thanks, not perfect, but I'll try it next time I have the problem. Like you say, sometimes its just easier to start again. 
    Thanks again 
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    The other way to cheat this kind of issue is to use the trim tool. Even if you need to throw in a temporary line to trim to, this can be a way to get access to an end point that is hard to pick or move.