Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Holes - insufficient parameters

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
edited January 2022 in Product Feedback
There are not nearly enough options for holes.  For example, I need a countersunk hole for an M3 bolt. where the hole is a clearance hole.  The thread is in the other part it is being joined to.  I want a hole that has a flat termination.  I want it to end at the next face.  This gives me a hole that I can slip an M3 self-threading screw into.  The hole options are "clearance and tapped".  How can a hole be both?   I want a clearance hole in part 1 and a tapped hole in part 2, but each hole is one or the other.

Furthermore, I have a number of screws and I want to create a suitable hole profile to each.  I should not have to sit here with calipers and bolt each time I want to use that bolt,, because it is not the only one I am using.  I should be able to save a hole profile with a specific name.

My problem right now is that if I give a hole depth of 5mm. the hole extends into the next part by the amount of the end angle.  This is causing me problems.  The STL file wants to put that indentation into the part.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @joseph_newcomer We have many plans for hole feature and we hope to tie it closely to standard content so this is much easier to do in the future. thanks for the feedback.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,500 PRO
    edited January 2022
    There are not nearly enough options for holes.  For example, I need a countersunk hole for an M3 bolt. where the hole is a clearance hole.  The thread is in the other part it is being joined to.  I want a hole that has a flat termination.  I want it to end at the next face.  This gives me a hole that I can slip an M3 self-threading screw into.  The hole options are "clearance and tapped".  How can a hole be both?   I want a clearance hole in part 1 and a tapped hole in part 2, but each hole is one or the other.

Furthermore, I have a number of screws and I want to create a suitable hole profile to each.  I should not have to sit here with calipers and bolt each time I want to use that bolt,, because it is not the only one I am using.  I should be able to save a hole profile with a specific name.

My problem right now is that if I give a hole depth of 5mm. the hole extends into the next part by the amount of the end angle.  This is causing me problems.  The STL file wants to put that indentation into the part.
    @joseph_newcomer

I'm not sure what you are specifically trying to do without an example but from your last statement it sounds like you might not be restricting the "merge scope" (by default it will apply to everything the hole can reach). If you want the clearance hole to go all the way through the first part but not the second, you can just make the hole "Through" and remove from the second part from the merge scope.

Or maybe you could actually use the "Blind in last" option if you need a clearance hole in the first part and a thread one in the second? 

Worst case you use two separate hole features if you don't get the right combination: a countersink in the first part with the "through" condition and merge scope of only the first part and a second one (in the same location) with the correct diameter for the self threading screw. 

If you don't want the bottom of a blind hole to be pointed, you can fairly easily square it of by using a "Delete face" feature on the cone (selecting the "Cap" option).