Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3DConnexion keyboard/numpad

michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
If anybody is using the above with Onshape or other programs, can you comment on how well it works for you.  I'm thinking about replacing my DasKeyboard and the 3DConnexion combo is one that I'm considering.

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    Personally I use a 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator and can't really deal with CAD without it (RSI issues), but the support from the company has not always been the greatest. I've had a ton of issues with their drivers on the Mac (they seem to be solved now, but it took a long time).

I've never used their keyboards, so take this with a grain of salt. With 3D input devices there's not much competition, but with keyboards, there are a lot of companies to choose from. From the web site, I can see some advantages to the product, but I would be more likely to look to a bigger company with better support. 
  • Options
    Scott_WertelScott_Wertel Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I use Kinesis devices for ergonomic keyboards and accessories. The 3DConnexion looked nice, but I prefer others.
    Principal & Co-founder
    Aerospace Research & Development Group, LLC
    www.aerornd.com
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the comments.  Sounds like the 3D Connexion ketboard/num pad may not be as good as I'd hoped.  I'm mostly a touch typist and was hoping for something less error prone than what I am using now.  The errrs may have more to do with the user than the keyboard, though, and I do like the tactile feedback on the DasKeyboard.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I try and stay clear of 3d Connexion, unless you want a 3D Space mouse, since they are overpriced average devices. Any $10 mouse is as good as their $100 mouse.

The only thing you get that's nice with that is the software which lets you have a bunch of onscreen soft buttons. But their drivers are so bad my experience has always been they would either hijack other devices (xbox controller for example) or they would simply reset to factory default after a few days.

Since I play video games on the same machine I work with, that got extremely annoying when at random I would be playing and then the 3D mouse would become the 'default device' while in the middle of a raid (even when unplugged). All my problems went away when I uninstalled their drivers, but then you are left with a partially working device. So, I threw it in the trash.

If you want a tactile keyboard, look into any mechanical keyboard.
    you can buy one of these testers to get a feel for each switch's feel and sound before buying a whole keyboard:
    Amazon.com: Griarrac Cherry MX Switch Tester 12-Key Mechanical Keyboard Sampler Switch Testing Tool with Keycap Puller and 24 O Rings, 40A-L & 40A-R (Printed PBT Keycap Include Linear Gray) : Electronics

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
     I can mostly agree with John that the regular mouse is overpriced except that I have become used to the 3 buttons (a center actual button for panning) and now I can hardly stand working without it. Is there another good mouse that has that? I got along well with the drivers as long as I was on Windows, the customization was great and I had no trouble. However, since switching to mac I am not as impressed, I was told by 3Dconnexion that a new and totally revised mac driver is coming soon. I also am one that is handicapped without the space mouse although I find it is about as much from the lack of the direct shortcut keys as the navigation. I was thinking about getting a new package from them, keyboard and all, but am holding out right now to see what they do for a driver on the macs with mac silicon. I also am looking at some other keyboards, anyone have any experience with this onehttps://www.zsa.io/moonlander/ or https://trulyergonomic.com/ergonomic-keyboards/best-truly-ergonomic-mechanical-keyboard/ or https://kinesis-ergo.com/products/#advantage2       
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    almost every mouse with a wheel is a 3-button mouse

you press the wheel down for center click

if you want a good mouse (which is thousands of times better than the 3D connexion mouse, but also dirt cheap $35)
    Amazon.com: Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse, RGB Backlit, 20 Programmable Buttons : Video Games

I have one at work and one at home, they are over 5 years old and still work great. The logitech drivers are a little crappy still, but the worst that happens is the speed is slow, so you open the game software and it snaps back to normal. A minor annoyance that doesn't happen very often.
    But what you get is 34 programmable buttons since all buttons can have 2 things mapped at any point. 

You can also set it for each application to tailor it for each app.

• Options
    I realize that in most mice the wheel acts as a button. However, I find that after training myself to lay three fingers on buttons, trying to press a wheel totally annoying. Just a preference of mine. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Easy enough with this mouse:

it looks like the right most button is small and far off to the right, but the way your hand forms to the mouse, it actually feels more like a regular right mouse button, if you're used to right clicking with your ring finger at least.

• Options
    Interesting, I'll have to take a closer look at some of those mice. 
    On a different note does anyone know if or how this setup would work for Onshape? https://www.contourdesign.com/product/rollermouse-red/ 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Interesting, I'll have to take a closer look at some of those mice. 
    On a different note does anyone know if or how this setup would work for Onshape? https://www.contourdesign.com/product/rollermouse-red/ 
    That's interesting, unfortunately I've never had a good experience with mice that require two hands to operate (left hand on click buttons, right hand operating the slide wheel)
    Especially when you need to hold modifiers like ctrl alt or shift etc ... Every time you need to take your left hand off your keyboard you lose a lot of functionality. Like keyboard shortcuts.

Even touch pads are very limiting. The best feel I've ever had was with a normal mouse, or a 3D space mouse (when it works)