Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Export assembly-->STEP. Can the STEP assembly use a part's 'partNumber' rather than its name?

John_StarkJohn_Stark Member Posts: 6
I've been using the Export rules when I export to take care of the name of the file that gets downloaded (Handy!)

When I export an OnShape assembly to a STEP file then bring it into another <crappy> CAD software, all the child parts are identified by their ${name}.

When the STEP file of the assembly is created by OnShape, can it use the part numbers of the child parts?

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited January 2022
    I don't think so.

But what I do is name all of my parts using this convention:   PartNumber - Name
    That way no matter what the export is they will contain both while making the assembly tree organized and readable.

• Options
    John_StarkJohn_Stark Member Posts: 6
    Thanks John!  I was doing that initially but then discovered the auto BOM table field populations options in OnShape drawings.  If I combine the p/n and description, then those things don't work so well. It's a minor annoyance - one that I'm sure will eventually get addressed by OnShape.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    What auto BOM table field populations are you having trouble with? Part Name shouldn't be a default for BOM.