Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can't get the planetary gears to rotate properly.

I can't get the planet gear to rotate around the sun gear . I've tried lots of ways but they didn't work, can anyone help me out?
Here's the project https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4d4e627b478f6d14bb588d0b/w/f08757547d18c1aa2dad459b/e/5258ccb329d4d839cd50c971?renderMode=0&uiState=61ec4746575dc67cd76b659f

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    The planet gears need to rotate around the sun gear, while at the same time spin on their axis.

To do this you could draw in a linking arm, but if you want them to be 'floating' you can make an invisible arm by hiding a small cylinder inside the planet gear, then offset that from the sun. Easiest way to do that is with a mate connector in the part studio, since all your gears are drawn together.

Then revolute mate your fake arm's mate connector to the ring gear (since it's stationary and we know the ratio without having to worry about the axis of the sun's rotation speed)

Then add a revolue mate between the planet and the fake arm.

Add your relations, then use a circular pattern on the planet gear to get the rest mated for free.

Gear Project - Copy | Assembly 1 (onshape.com)

• Options
    also, it is poor practice to "Fix" more than one object in an assembly.
    The reason is: fixed parts will be floating in higher assemblies and become scattered in the wind.

The proper method is to fix one part (let's make it the base plate since everything mates to that)
    Then use a group mate to lock them all together.

I updated your model to show this mating method as well
  • Options
    muhammad_usman722muhammad_usman722 Member Posts: 3 EDU
    thank you so much
  • Options
    No problem