Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Tangent mate not selecting multiple faces

I have a problem with the tangent mate tool.

I am new to OnShape and I wanted to make a simplified, animated model of an engine.
English is not my first language, so I apologise in advance for possible mistakes or unclarities.

In the official tangent mate tutorial, when one of the faces of a curved surface was selected, all the others were selected automatically.
When I try to connect the cams of my engine to the valves with a tangent mate, only one of the faces of the cam gets selected. This results in a partial rotation of the cam, because when it reaches the limit of the connected face, the following section of the cam is not part of the tangent mate.
I tried creating one tangent mate for every face of the cam, but OnShape did not like it, and an enormous amount of errors appeared, with every single mate connector in the assembly.
I made a copy of the camshaft to try and find a solution: here is the file link (also bottom of the question).
Another idea I had is to blend and connect the faces of the cam to make them into one whole face, but I did not find a way to do it.
How can I solve this problem?

Thank you immensely for your time and support.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4e4a306b4efe2fe0a9d178bb/w/7619ac00e2a318700ee14c45/e/6e30f199973bd8c1acdd2feb?renderMode=0&uiState=61eb1ab0a054134e7e5b7f3b

Best Answer

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The problem is your cam's surfaces are not tangential.

if you were to create a line and make it tangent to arc of your cam, you can see how it shoots off away from the rest of the cam

so, when we add a tangent constraint to the profile of the cam, you can see how the construction line now rests upon the other arc.

Bottom line is, if you want to have a continuous tangential surface. Then you will need to make sure all line segments/arcs have a tangent mate also.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    The problem is your cam's surfaces are not tangential.

if you were to create a line and make it tangent to arc of your cam, you can see how it shoots off away from the rest of the cam

so, when we add a tangent constraint to the profile of the cam, you can see how the construction line now rests upon the other arc.

Bottom line is, if you want to have a continuous tangential surface. Then you will need to make sure all line segments/arcs have a tangent mate also.
  • Options
    federico_sozzi388federico_sozzi388 Member Posts: 3 EDU
    It worked and solved the problem,
    Thank you again for your help!
  • Options
    No problem