Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rendering environment seems to have very minamal impact

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 810 PRO
Does any one else find this to be an issue?  When I change the environment I can see a little difference but the look of the render does not seem to represent at all the image that was used for the environment.  If I use a night time image from the library, My render view still looks bright with barely any colour changes.  If I use an urban environment, I cannot see buildings in the image being reflected into the shiney aluminum parts of the model.  If I rotate the environment absolutely nothing changes.  The view port refreshes but looks exactly the same after it clears up.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    I can't reproduce that - try creating a new scene to see if that fixes it.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    I can't reproduce that - try creating a new scene to see if that fixes it.
    Thanks.  I will try that and possible put a little gif here if I am still seeing it.
  • Options
    @NeilCooke
    I have created a new render studio in a different document.  The below gif shows what I am talking about.

The doors have been applied with a stainless steel appearance and I have brought the roughness way down.  I am not seeing the environment reflected in the appearance.  After making this, I tried including the environment as a background as well.  That makes a big difference but it doesn't seem like it should.  Any other rendering application I have used still renders the environment reflections and all into the models appearances even if the environment is set to not be used as a background.  I also noticed the environments get dropped in 180 degrees upside down by default.  Which maybe why most environments are not changing things much when dropped in as a light source.  They are upside down.  Believe me when I say, I have not messed with any controls ahead of time.  I find the UI extremely awkward and really have no idea how I could even attempt to change any defaults.  I have just created the studio and started dropping things onto the model.