Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a generic parts repository? Like screws, nuts, washers, fans, etc?

florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Community Support
Hi I am new to Onshape forums and haven't found an answer on the web for this question. I have recently started with CAD and have learned very quickly DesignSpark Mechanical. It is a very nice and evolutionary piece of CAD software. However, the free version is crippled in some areas and the actions history doesn't exist there. I want to get learning a more powerful/mainstream CAD software and, it coming from a SolidWorks heritage, Onshape looks one of the most promising solutions out there.

One thing that I loved about DSM is it huge repository with parts from vendors that you can import and use in your design. It helps tremendously when I don't have to model a stepper motor or a threaded rod or a M5,M8 etc.

Is such a functionality existing in Onshape or maybe it is planned?

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi @florian_ford

I'm sure some form of repository is planned but it will be done though technology partners. Checkout the component and content library partners https://www.onshape.com/partners/technology

You can also search public parts and copy bit's from other peoples public models (just RMB on the tab you want and Copy to clipboard). I'm sure as time goes by more and more quality reference doc's will be made public. Collaboration on these doc's is also available so you could have multiple people building a public library.  It is a bit hard to find stuff in the public folder though, without a search tool to dig deeper than just the doc name.

Maybe we could even have a forum topic for useful doc's with document descriptions and links. A goto place to find stuff.

Here some of my reference doc's
    Spring
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cdae3a1f009f41e8b5dd7e9f/w/96a0850e944040979fd806e6
    Fasteners
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/516b1784884d4facbc4c0d74/w/8e947edb43904354bb16b3f2
    Sketch profiles
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0a355a367a4941eca0d90a0f/w/3d4fdaaf6b77419db7fa309b
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    There should be a way to search the part from the workspace itself, without much distraction. An Insert option with a search field. You type and you get a popup list of matching parts. They can be sorted out by relevance etc. But you should have thumbnail and description. Select the right one, press Enter and it's in your design.

Maybe this should go in the suggested features category, sorry if I messed up.
    OnShape should partner with large partners because it's in their best interest to have their parts listed for everyone to use. Onshape is surely able to get onboard large manufacturers. And have the option to buy parts straight from the onshape account. Once you finish a design, generate a BOM and offer the possibility to buy the parts from a network of resellers (with onshape paid account). I'd like to see local resellers and manufacturing (milling/3d printing/ etc) shops get onboard of offer quotes etc so that designers wouldn't stay with the design for weeks searching for the best price or best local offer.

Well, one can only hope it was that easy. But for Onshape it's a way of differentiation and stay at the top of the food chain:)/
  • jan_baeyensjan_baeyens Member Posts: 3
    I think there should be a way to share -at least- all common iso standard stuff so it can be reused very simple.

• joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    definately i think there should be some brand neutral fasteners. Branded stuff from partners is nice, but the basic fasteners should be independent, and easy to find.
    I agree with generic stuff not only fasteners but also other types of generic mechanical parts an engineer would use a lot while designing. There are so many generic parts in every project and only a couple of brand-new concepts... those usually need nurbs or other more exotic tools for designing.

But something like Insert>[Search Field]>"M8 bolt">{a results page would appear with all relevant results -say all 5 star rated} -> you choose one> properties dialog opens asking left or right hand thread, coarse or fine, length, etc> Done.

For me this is a tipping point to have the generic parts list with parametric properties (a la OpenSCAD). Maybe have OnShape even access OnShape parts  repositories on GitHub that would be awesome. This is the next generation collaborative, sharing CAD that would bring together the "open" initiatives for everybody to use and design quicker in collaboration.

How can I fill a feature request for this? I think this would make OnShape much more "Rapid Prototyping"-ish .