Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

import landscape photogrammetry

hygy_hygyhygy_hygy Member Posts: 5
Hi,

If I have a photogrammetry from a drone about a landscape, can I somehow import it to onshape and make plans on it? I mean first remove soil, and after that start to design on that removed flat place.

I got obj + mtl + png. This can be viewed for example with MeshLab. I can import just the obj file. But it does not have all the informations couse it does not use the mtl and the png file.

And I have a kmz file what is calibrated with GPS coordinates measured before the land surveyor. But onshape does not recognize it.

Is onshape suitable to edit a landscape photogrammetry from a drone, and after design a small building on it? If yes what is the correct input file format, and the steps to start using it? The best will be if I can use the GPS coordinates calibrated kmz file.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Onshape is intended for mechanical design - you will need to find some software for civil engineering.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • hygy_hygyhygy_hygy Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your answer. :( Maybe it can be a new feature request for onshape.
  • mark_quadlingmark_quadling Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I've used the following steps to bring an OBJ file into OnShape:
    1. Import into MeshLab, clean up and create a watertight model (for example using the Screen Poisson surface reconstruction).
    2. Try import this model into OnShape and convert to a solid. I've had mixed results with this, and it usually doesn't work but give it a go. You might get lucky. Otherwise...
    3. Import into FreeCAD and turn it into a solid. You can google how to do that. Once it is a solid, export as a STEP file. FreeCAD is free if you haven't used it before and very handy for doing this kind of conversion.
    4. Import that STEP file into OnShape. Depending on the complexity it might be quite slow to work with, but otherwise works just like any other solid in OnShape. Example dental tray below. This is from a scan and I brought it into OnShape using the process above. The  other example is a face model that was an OBJ of just one side. As you can see I had to fill in the back side to turn it into a solid.

It is a bit involved but can be done.