Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - February 18th, 2022

Comments

• Options
    gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Neil refers to "Super Derive" custom feature in the frames demo. Does anyone know if this is available and how it works? I tried to search in custom features but could not find anything.
  • Options
    gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    @NeilCooke Great to see frames. In your demo you used a "Super Derive" custom feature. I am unable to find it when searching custom features. Is it not available to the public? What does it do? It looks like something I might be interested in.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Neil refers to "Super Derive" custom feature in the frames demo. Does anyone know if this is available and how it works? I tried to search in custom features but could not find anything.
    Here you go: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfef86ed4f9635531599a973
    It allows you to place multiple instances by mate connector so you don't have to use Transform afterwards.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    david_rubli136david_rubli136 Member Posts: 17 PRO
    Ergoflex said:
    the "batch export from tab manager" is an amazing update but it would allow for the export of the active configuration of the part/assembly, I hope you can add an update for "batch export from assembly tree" since you know that sometimes an assembly include different configurations.
    @Ergoflex Configuration is a tricky one as configuration that you see in tab is whatever user looked last and different for different users. When you say ""batch export from assembly tree" do you mean export all unique part configuration version used in assembly (equivalent to exporting each BOM row)? Will it be better to export from BOM?

Would you need subassemblies from tree also? There may be duplication of lots of data if we select all subassemblies so I am wondering what will be useful for subassemblies. 
    What is needed is export from flatend BOM of all drawings (parts and assemblies) to PDF and all parts to STEP (as a common example).
  • Options
    monroe_weber_shirkmonroe_weber_shirk Member Posts: 96 EDU
    variable descriptions are a great idea. I see that you can use setVariable to add a description, but getVariable doesn't return the description. Is there a way to add descriptions when creating variables in FeatureScript?
    var myNewVariable = {value:5 * meter, description: "the length of my imagination"}
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
    Another fantastic update....thank you so much
  • Options
    thomas_frederiksenthomas_frederiksen Member Posts: 3 PRO
    frames 🤯

• Options
    n_schoemaekern_schoemaeker Member Posts: 28 PRO
    This is a nice set of features and improvements.
    Congrats to de devs !!
  • Options
    devin_johnson79devin_johnson79 Member Posts: 12 PRO
    All I can say is, well done #TeamOnshape. I have been looking forward to Frames for quite some time as I used the Beams feature extensively in my designs. I will also be adding descriptions to my variables as this is a must! 
  • Options
    Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    This is wonderful! Thanks guys! @ian_d_gardiner agreed. Beams was amazing but this looks like a whole other level :) 

• Options
    phil_erdley628phil_erdley628 Member Posts: 16 PRO
    This may be your best improvements update yet!

Between the integration and improvements with Frames and the batch export, I think you just saved me an additional hire.
  • Options
    Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
    Amazing Onshape.  The new featurescript additions are always impressive.  Approximating a b spline surface is quite an achievement!!! Thank you for all your hard work. It enables us to create faster, better, and more robust features.
  • Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited February 2022
    hey @shawn_crocker, just a heads up that @jakeramsley already answered a similar question a little above your comment.
  • Options
    NBergerNBerger Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Batch export from tab manager... perhaps we're one step closer to batch export from release candidates?
    Also thanks as usual guys :)
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    @Jacob_Corder Yeah, it's not that much work when there's a Parasolid function to do that :smile:  The downside is that it leaves us with their implementation choices -- they're usually very good, but in this case, the trim boundary curve approximations seem to be degree 2 in all my testing (which is probably not what I would've done).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    Great updates, but why oh why does cut/paste drawing views not use the same location on the sheet when pasting to a new sheet?
  • Options
    Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
    edited February 2022
    @ilya_baran
    doesn't matter if parasolid has a function, you guys enabled it for us :smile:

I see that the trim boundary is 2 dimension and degree 1 or degree 2. I was curious to why also, so I ran a test to see what they were. and interestingly, they are the parameters for evFaceTangentPlane. Well they were for a few of my surfaces. Some are just having odd results.

With this, I was able to create the trimming curve for the B Spline surface. Now if only there was a native imprintEdge function.. Hmm. :smile:

• Options
    CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    Excited for Frames. It's a step in the right direction. Unfortunately the cut list feature doesn't seem customizable enough for the drawing and BOM format my company is using, so I'll have to continue using it like the beams feature and making assemblies.
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 358
    edited February 2022
    Hi @CBowers. Please make sure you file a ticket for the customizations you are looking for. This will help us make the feature better.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    Lewis_Maina_MuthoniLewis_Maina_Muthoni Member, csevp Posts: 10 ✭✭
    What's an amazing NEW features , Onshape never dissapoints , Thanks onshape
  • Options
    daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
    I saw Frames and audibly gasped! Just saved days of work for future me!
  • Options
    ted_schundlerted_schundler Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    It's nice to see the beams feature is an official part of OnShape. Good UI tweaks for it too.

It would be helpful for lumber to output the cutlist in fractional inches: There is no 0.875 on a tape measure.

Also the two angles listed are ambiguous - is that on the wide or narrow end of a 2x4? There doesn't seem to be any way to clarify in the cutlist without a diagram & callout
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Very nice work. I have used Beams FS extensively, with both custom tooled aluminum extrusions, and 8020. Happy to see its functionality added to the core OS software. Also happy to see good FS's being more accessible. I wish OS would ship with the top FS's as default. Maybe pay a royalty to the developer who made it for each use. Or give the developer credit some other way. Or outright buy it from the developer? I just learned of mulit-mate-connector and mate-connector-at-origin from OS support. Very useful!
  • Options
    don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 139 PRO
    Wow!!!  How many huge improvements is this in a row now?  GREAT Stuff.
  • Options
    alfredo_nietoalfredo_nieto Member Posts: 6
    Great updates as always!

About copying and pasting drawing views, could it be possible to extend this update to section views, aligned section views, and auxiliary views too? Seems like these should have been included in the improvement.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Ivan_DeetlefsIvan_Deetlefs Member Posts: 23 PRO
    Massive update. For batch export, it will also be very helpful if you could export the latest revision of the drawing since this is what the procurement team needs. Perhaps a list can be created when exporting with option to select main, latest revision or custom revision (might not even be necessary).
  • Options
    mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    edited February 2022
    Haha, after all these years  :# I submitted Batch Export as an improvement request in July 2017, and it became one of the more popular ones. Good to see it is here!

Rendering, Frames, you guys are really spoiling us these days!

Now just give us a native 3D Sketch so we can really rock those Frames  :p
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://youtu.be/_gcfW3nYhSE
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    jason_dixonjason_dixon Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Any word on simplified threads for drawings?
  • Options
    ChuckBergChuckBerg Member, csevp Posts: 6 PRO
    Incredible update. Auxiliary view creation update is critical for our product drawings! Thank-you Onshape team!