Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Construction geometry

denis_lpdenis_lp Member Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hi
Is it possible to create construction geometry which is not plane at the part level? For example construction points, lines, etc..
For example when I create a plane by using point and line at the part level, only obvious corner points can be selected - but what if I need a center of the circle?
Thank you,
Denis

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @ denis_lp, You can project that circle and use the center point as reference.
    Please see below example as you mentioned,

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @denis_lp Yes, you just need to first select construction icon and the the geometry you wan't.

Note that Onshape can handle sketches that have open figures and multiple shapes because you can select only a certain part or figure to use for extrusion. So construction lines are only for you, Onshape does not require them.

//rami
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited October 2015
    Difference to other mcads is that this:

is actually same as this:

the difference is when you create extrusion, you just select part of sketch from modeling area instead of the complete set from feature tree

and the real beauty of this system is that you can create multiple extrusions (parts) using different areas of single sketch!
    //rami
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't pretend to understand the original question.
    For example, I have had no difficulty picking the centrepoint of a circle to create a "Line Point" plane, and it's not clear to me how this relates to "construction geometry"
    (perhaps the OP considers construction planes to be a type of construction geometry, which is not conventional terminology but is nevertheless arguable) ...

but one thing I would add to the answers is to clarify what is special about construction lines: they are NEVER used by the application as outlines for extrusion, rotation, lofting, sweeping etc.

Hence one way to use them is to ensure that there is a single unambiguous profile in a sketch, which means that the sketch profile can be selected by a single click on the sketch name in the feature list, or a single click within that profile in the graphics area, rather than (if the extraneous lines were solid) needing multiple clicks in the graphics area to identify the desired contours.

Another way they can help is to make it visually clearer to the user which lines and arcs in a sketch are included purely to help locate or reshape other entities. One example would be a line which serves to define the tangency of a spline entity.