Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there an easy way to change overall orientation of a part studio?

I made a... poor choice when deciding which way was "up" in a complex set of parts I've been building.

As far as I can tell I have two choices:
  1. Manually convert all sketches/extrusions/transforms to different planes/axes corresponding to the rotation I want to make.
  2. Perform a rotation transformation on all parts. This leaves sketches misaligned and also doesn't help when I have to go back and edit earlier stages in the studio.
Is there a way to globally change which way is up so I can look at the "primary" angle of my parts without having to flip the camera around backwards and upside-down?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You are right, those are the two best options. Named views are also available in case you need to snap to a saved view.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 814 PRO
    @matthew_young533
    I am aware of some reason's why it is desirable or rather, I find it desirable to reorient a part in a part studio.  Knowing myself somewhat well, I know almost 100% of the reason's I have for wanting to do this are purely OCD related or a uncontrollable desire to maintain logic down into a level that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.  I am curious what reason's you have for attempting this?
  • Options
    matthew_young533matthew_young533 Member Posts: 4
    @shawn_crocker
    My model is highly aesthetic, and its intended viewing orientation after fabrication is currently "backwards" and "upside-down".

Whenever I need to reset the camera I have to flip the part around and then tap the "rotate camera" arrow a bunch of times to look at it how I expect the user to look at it. Ideally my default perspective would be the way the user is going to look at it.

The named view feature sounds promising, but still leaves me in an awkward "everything is upside-down" position when considering things like axis sign.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    We've always said the most complex feature in a parametric model isn't a loft, shell or pattern.

It's the 1st feature. The 1st feature in any parametric model is always the most complex.

Getting the 1st feature right takes a lot of thought as you are finding out and we've all made errors.