Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

who do I group a set of scketch entities

no_name433no_name433 Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hi

I Am trying to copy/paste a group of sketch entities and then position the pasted entities in their new location.

I paste the group:

And then I am trying to coincide one of the points to a reference line so the new entities will be centered.
When I add the new constraint only one point moves to the new location, what I need is for the entire set of entities to reposition.

Is there a way of doing what I'm trying to do? What is the right way of doing that?

Thanks

Erez

Answers

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited March 2022
    A link to a publicly shared document would go a long way for people to troubleshoot your specific situation, but I think you're having a very similar issue to this post here. Your sketch has to be fully defined in its own reference frame. 

Everything in this example the only dimension constraints are lengths of lines. When I had things defined with a point-to-point dimension to the spline control point, that dimension was not coming through, so I instead dimensioned the line to the spline control point instead. So from that limited experiment, I'd guess that certain ways of dimensioning and constraining may work better than others to make them able to copy and paste reliably.

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 484 PRO
    edited March 2022
    @no_name433
    I think it is an issue of not properly constraining the sketch entities. Make sure that your original sketch is completely constrained (ideally all lines and points turn black) then copy and paste. Yes, it is possible to do what you are trying. 
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,552 PRO
    You can also select the group of things you want to move without fully constraining them using the transform command, this will let you move them all at once (but the result won't be "parametric", ie the position will not update later on). You can move the manipulator origin to existing reference point (you may need to add one if you dont' already have it) and when you drag this point will snap to other geometry. 
  • Options
    angelo_scozzarellaangelo_scozzarella Member Posts: 58 EDU
    Is there a way to full constraint a sketch with a single command?
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,430 PRO
    Drag select all, use the Fix constraint.
  • Options
    angelo_scozzarellaangelo_scozzarella Member Posts: 58 EDU
    Thank you.