Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating a section view

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
I really want a section view of my assembly.  Unfortunately, while I get lots of hits if I search for help on "section view", almost all of them say something along the lines of "This section explains..." or "In this section we will show...".  I searched the forum for help on section, but the questions dealt with Android problems or other issues which I don't think I need to address.  I would be happy for a URL to a video intro to creating sections.  But the search needs a better handle on identifying words that mean something to a user and words which are just noise.  Note that I want this in the 3D view of the assembly, not as part of a drawing (which I don't need and wouldn't use, since all the parts are being 3D printed, not manufactured by a third party).

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Shift+X or the little cube menu under the view cube, top right
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    I already discovered that.  But it wants me to create some dividing point, and I need to figure out how to do that.  So I need more info.
    For example, it wants a "section view planes".  I went back to the part studio, created a plane, made it visible, went back to the assembly, the plane is not visible.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Plane just means a planar section - select any flat, cylindrical or conical face
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI