Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketches not exporting with part

dean_pimlottdean_pimlott Member Posts: 7
Hi, when I export my part which should be a bent sheet with rivet holes, only the bent sheet exports, leaving all the holes that are in around 8 sketches behind.  I can see all the holes when viewing the part, it just does not export as step all together. Any tips on how I can solve this?  Thank you.

Answers

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    edited March 2022
    @dean_pimlott
    Not sure what workflow you are using, did you create the part with sheet metal and finish it before creating the holes? 
    I don’t think step format supports sketches if that is what you are trying to export with sketches. 
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @dean_pimlott, make your document public and share a link.
  • Options
    Hi Wayne. Thank you for your time answering my question. I basically created a box and extruded to a thickness, then removed three sides, then opened in the sheet metal fabricator and added bends to the remaining side.  Then sketched the holes on top of that.  I am obviously missing something so will try and recreate the entire model again.

Many thanks

Dean
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    @dean_pimlott
    You should not have to recreate your work, can you share a link? If you prefer you can message me directly and we could look at it together.
    Are you actually creating the holes with the hole tool, or only sketching them? Did you finish your sheet metal model at any time?  
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    if you're trying to export the flat pattern to DXF/DWG and you want not-extruded sketches to export

then you will need to draw them on the flat pattern itself
    here sketch2 was drawn on the formed part "NO"
    and sketch3 was drawn on the flattened part "YES"

as you can see only sketch3 exported

• Options
    Hi Wayne. Thank you for your time answering my question. I have now realised what I was doing wrong, i had only drawn the holes from the circle tool in each sketch, but I had not extruded/removed the hole centres.

All sorted now and I hope this also helps another user out who faces the same issue.

Many thanks

Dean
  • Options
    Thank you John, I think i am sorted now.  I have been trying to post that everything is now fine but the comments are not showing, so hope this comes through.

Dean