Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Newbie question: How can I center 2 parts in an Assembly ... at a fixed offset distance?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
edited March 2022 in Using Onshape

Hello

1. How can I align the centers of Part A and Part B in the X dimension?

2. How can I fix the sparation distance between the two edges to a specific distance? (e.g. 2mm)

Note: I have applied a Planar Mate to the back face of Part A and Part B.

Background
Part of my problem is that I have two 45 degree chamfers facing each other, rather than two parallel faces... 

Many thanks

J

PS My apologies for the novice question, but I am stuck!

PPS Is there any way to insert an image into these forum posts without them going full-width?

Comments

• Options
    POCPOC Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Add a mate connector to the edge of the chamfers, then use fastened mate with offsets.
  • Options
    POC said:
    Add a mate connector to the edge of the chamfers, then use fastened mate with offsets.
    Yes, that seems to have worked. Many thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    PS It is possible to use a Variable for the Offset value?
    If so how do you set it up? 

In truth I would like a to be able to set up a global set of variables that I can use in any Part Studio, as well as in any Assembly.

[Should I enter this as a separate question?]

J

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited March 2022
    Use a fastened mate on an edge, the Z-axis will be in-line with the edge (for centering)

Then edit the offset as needed

*Edit* Opps I see this was answered while I was answering too :)
  • Options
    Thanks John. Any thoughts about Variables? (see my last reply)
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    There are no variables in assemblies 'yet' comming soon though. 

So instead you would add a mate connector in the partstudio and use your variable defined offset there. Then fasten it in the assembly

They didn't say when grobal variables will be coming out. But they showed off a demo at the live event. They talked like it could be any update now. 
  • Options
    christian_pettychristian_petty Member Posts: 65 PRO
    You could use configurations to switch between different offsets.
    Christian Petty - Mechanical Design Engineer, Radian R&D
  • Options
    OK that works. Thanks!

So to get clear, as things stand there is no way to even share a master set of Variables between different Part Studios, yes?

J
  • Options
    You can in partsudios

there are a few methods, but the simplest one would be to use the "superderive" featurescript and check the "import variables" option.
    You will need to import at least one object from the partsudio. If you only want the variables, then create blank sketch or a plane to import.

SuperDerive | SuperDerive (onshape.com)

this is something I do often in Onshape, and it works great.
    You can see how many variables I'm using by the size of the scroll bar :)

Import in partstudios is very inefficient though. since it needs to load the entire partstudio each update.

but if you create one 'master variable partstudio' with only a single importable feature (like a sketch) then it will speed things up.

But like I said, this will all be obsolete once global variables comes out. Hopefully in the next month or two? ? ?
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    How about designing all 3 parts in 1 Partstudio and then use configurations for everything you want to vary.
  • Options
    This is for when the partstudio gets too large.
    My first chute in Onshape for example had roading times of minuets after every feature edit. 

Breaking it up into 4 partstudios reduced it to a second or two. 
    You need to find the best approach per design. One partstudio only really works for very small designs. 
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    That looks like it can be done with an offset fastened mate.