Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Waiting for the mixed environment

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
edited March 2022 in General
Some initial thoughts before this goes live. There appears to be some added stuff already.

Please remember the rendered state to "shaded without edges". Currently you're constantly changing the view to this state.

Or, do a better job at showing edges, don't show inner edges that have an angle less than 2° between polygons. Do this for surfaces also, seeing inner edges is annoying and if they're tangent, don't show them. We need a better display for organic shapes.

This is new, and annoying. 

If you section the view, in the latest release, you're solidifying open meshes. Don't do this, not everything is a solid, don't force it. A surface doesn't become a solid in a section view, why should an open mesh become a solid?

Where'd my construction vector go?

This isn't desirable.

Open meshes are not an error.

This is a pain because you can't remove the error and it propagates all the way to the top assembly. How do you remove this error?

Comments

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 807 PRO
    ??
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2022
    Sorry, I'm working with meshes and they've added a solidification feature to open meshes which hides build geometry in a section view. I have no idea why they did that. Also, having a mesh, the display needs updating with edges turned off. This isn't an easy task in OS and keeping it in that state.

Standard view:

Without edges:

It's more pleasing to work on meshes without edges, but OS doesn't remember the state and you have to keep activating it.

If you play around with webgl or three.js, you'll find that they have graphics modes that would handle this better. I was hoping they could fix this for this next release.

Here's a part with a mesh:

I prefer this:

Actually, in a part, edges that are tangent shouldn't show, bounding edges should show, this is easy to do in webgl and would make the graphics in OS much better when working on organic shapes.

Currently OS looks like SW95 and with webgl we can have much more. This thread is mainly addressed to OS in hopes they still read this forum.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    So this is ultimately what I'm trying to accomplish. This is version 1 and there will be many more iterations before I go to print.

This is an air intake for a BMW R9T:

This is the whole bike:

You can see that the import folder contains errors which you can't fix. Even with the new features contained inside the mix environment, hopefully "fit mesh" will fix open meshes, but I doubt it. I think it's better to realize that open meshes aren't an error. OS is in the code fixing things and I hope they're listening. Otherwise, we're going to propagate the old errors and we'll have to live with them.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    V2 sinks more into the frame and adds an air scavenger.

side view:

top view:

• Options
    V3 adds a kink in the inlet manifold while keeping constant expansion.

Side view:

Top view:

Side image:

It might be time to print.

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    I too work a lot with meshes and Billy's points are all things that it would be great to see fixed/implemented.
    Can't wait for the mixed modelling environment
  • Options
    Thanks for the support @GWS50

V4 creates a smooth transition between the throttle body & scavenger using ruled surfaces:

C2 continuity creating a smooth surface transition.

more details about the design

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Version 5 & 6 Round vs. Tear Drop

V5 round inlet shape:

V6 tear drop shape:

V6 tear drop image:

Sending V6 out to print.

Does anyone know how to remove the airbox from an R nine T?

PIER CITY CYCLES TUTORIAL - BMW R9T Air Box Removal

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Realityscan is a new phone app (not released yet) bringing the world into your computer. 

Realityscan must watch video:

watch Realityscan 

Reality scan works with sketchfab to process your photos on the cloud and then offers them up for sale. I guess it's their way to monetize this new technology.

Sketchfab's library of scans:

So... I couldn't resist, only $18 bucks.

Sketchfabs downloaded mesh:

This mesh isn't as good as my current mesh created with an old structure scanner. I'm sure there are ways to tweak the process and gain resolution and accuracy. This is definitely the beginning of a new era in CAD with the ability to bring the world back into our design space.

One note that's important. The graphics handling mesh data inside OS is much faster now, thanks for speeding it up!

• Options
    I have noticed recently that some of the icons associated to meshes have changed.....which perhaps means that mixed modelling is getting closer...can't wait 
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    billy2 said:

[...]
    Or, do a better job at showing edges, don't show inner edges that have an angle less than 2° between polygons.

Rhinoceros 3D uses 22.5° between faces as its angle for choosing whether it is a sharp edge or not, though by default it does show edges with sharp ones slightly thicker

Do this for surfaces also, seeing inner edges is annoying and if they're tangent, don't show them.

We do have the option for tangent edge display, but it doesn't save across sessions.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    GWS50 said:
    I have noticed recently that some of the icons associated to meshes have changed.....which perhaps means that mixed modelling is getting closer...can't wait 
    These are the last seven additions to FeatureScriptVersionNumber:
    V1726_MIXED_MODELING,
    V1727_SM_ATTRIBUTE_CLEANUP,
    V1728_FILLET_USE_OV_CLIFF_END,
    V1729_CLUSTER_CENTROID,
    V1730_NO_CUSTOM_DESCRIPTION,
    V1731_LOFT_REDUNDANCY,
    V1732_MIXED_MODELING_REVERT_VERSION_BUMP

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    nicholas_radzykewycznicholas_radzykewycz Member Posts: 30 PRO
    I use a fair amount of photogrammetry with Onshape as well, it would be nice if it had more tools to directly interact with the mesh object or could turn a manifold mesh object into an Onshape solid made out of triangular surfaces and the enclose tool. That way things like cutting a plane or other functions I currently use meshmixer for with it's API command system in python, mmAPI, could be done inside of Onshape instead. I'd like to write a featurescript at some point to convert stls into Onshape objects, but if someone else gets to it first that would be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    @MBartlett21 let's hope they update the display for meshes. It gets tiring seeing all the edges.

Three.js has a mode to handle edges and I don't think it'd be that hard to deal with them in a more modern way.

Ultimately, watching webgl and who's doing cool stuff, checkout sketchfab. They have webgl working well with gltf. This is where computer graphics needs to be.

This is the sketchfab webgl environment:

This is what I want my L-bracket to look like when designing.

• Options
    @nicholas_radzykewycz it's going to fun. I'm currently using blender for mesh manipulation and would prefer to do it all in OS.

I have some python code that flattens a mesh and was hoping to implement it onshape. I'd re-factor it inside featurescript because I like the environment. 

Have you played inside featurescript?

• Options
    nicholas_radzykewycznicholas_radzykewycz Member Posts: 30 PRO
    @billy2 Yes I am working at the moment on implementing NPT threads for Onshape. It's going fairly well and I feel pretty comfortable in the environment, it's just that I only work on it a few hours a week because I have been unable to find a full time Onshape job. I'm actively searching at the moment if you know anyone hiring for a remote Onshape position.
  • Options
    I think we're all waiting for OS to take off and become a dominant force. Basic design skills is probably in more demand than programming in feature script. Most people I know using OS is because I've told them to use it. 

• Options
    ho-ho-ho X-mas in April.

I recieved air intakes yesterday:

BMW RnineT air intake:

• Options
    They look great...please send a photo when installed.
    A good example of how scan data can link the CAD world to the real world.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Unfortunately removing the old air box means removing the rear swing arm. It's probably a good idea to take it all apart, clean it, lube it and put it all back together. 

@GWS50 Absolutely! I'll post some pictures and possibly make a video with sound. I'm excited to hear the intakes howling like coyotes in the middle of the night when curving up the canyons.