Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I speed up regen times?

hank_debeyhank_debey Member Posts: 31
Regen times are running as high as 90 seconds. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/26618e68cc6c22e6b97658de/w/f4bb2f72240b59014e6d0a7f/e/d58dae95f554c8ebd6558a1f

Derived parts seem to be the problem. Is there a way to use parts I have created in other documents without deriving them? Hopefully, that would speed up regen times.

Thanks

Best Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,716 PRO
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    This could be due to a derive chain, deriving an item, then deriving it again from the new document. An assembly may fix this issue for you. Check out the Assembly Onshape self paced course as well as the other learning pathways

There are about 150 features in your part studio. After you finish the learning pathways, you should easily be able to do this in under 30 features.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,362 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I haven’t dug deeply into the model tree, but my first reaction is that there’s very few reasons to need to use transform for a model like this. This really feels like a model from someone who hasn’t done much parametric CAD before. There are times when direct editing (transform, move face, etc) have their place, but this seems like instead of modifying sketches to change the design, there’s a lot of adding, subtracting, moving around of very simple solids.

As @MichaelPascoe said, you could probably model this with much fewer features, and capture the design intent in a way which is much easier to work with. 

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,716 PRO
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    This could be due to a derive chain, deriving an item, then deriving it again from the new document. An assembly may fix this issue for you. Check out the Assembly Onshape self paced course as well as the other learning pathways

There are about 150 features in your part studio. After you finish the learning pathways, you should easily be able to do this in under 30 features.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,362 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I haven’t dug deeply into the model tree, but my first reaction is that there’s very few reasons to need to use transform for a model like this. This really feels like a model from someone who hasn’t done much parametric CAD before. There are times when direct editing (transform, move face, etc) have their place, but this seems like instead of modifying sketches to change the design, there’s a lot of adding, subtracting, moving around of very simple solids.

As @MichaelPascoe said, you could probably model this with much fewer features, and capture the design intent in a way which is much easier to work with. 
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    It can be a lot of things. 

Onshape is different than older parametric modelers in that the state stays in a current regen state. Only if you make a change to a feature or roll the feature bar back does it rebuild and you pay the price. Dragging complex time consuming features to the tree top will help the rebuild time from being activated when making changes.

Your design seems simple enough and I also suspect the derive components causing delays. But, once they're in the model that 90 second wait shouldn't be recurring over and over. Regens don't start at the top and work their way down. They only regen changed geometry.

I'm thinking your geometry could difficult to build as S1mon is suggesting. 

The last thing, your internet speed could be slow and the time to update the your display list is painful. crtl-d to check your ping rate. Also check your tessellation values for your parts. Make them all coarse and see if that helps.

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 667 PRO
    Did you change the model since starting the thread? I just opened it now for the first time, and the studio is showing a regen time of 1.5 seconds.