Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extending Sheet Metal Corners

tate_allen459tate_allen459 Member Posts: 5
Hello,

I'm trying to design a relatively simple sheet metal box and it's going well, however I need to extend the bent edges on the front and back of the box in order to cover up the corner holes created by the bends from the front and back directions. Please see the attached image. I can do this by extruding the bend face after I've completed the sheet metal model, but this doesn't help because it doesn't affect the flat pattern which I need. How can I accomplish this?

A real world example of what I'm trying to do would be something similar to this corner. You can see how from the front/back of this chassis, the front and back faces extend the full width of the chassis, not exposing any holes.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Onshape can be pretty finicky when it comes to the auto relief's ability to be modified. 

A work around that usually works for me is, adding material directly to the flat pattern 
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @tate_allen459
    If you prefer to do it on the 3D part, create your own relief slots and then make use of the tab feature. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/03ef26e9d24944dca4b1cd48/w/a05ddbdb55f0dfc08aa7f353/e/ad3bafc57a22fbd2f6f75d16

• Options
    Onshape can be pretty finicky when it comes to the auto relief's ability to be modified. 

A work around that usually works for me is, adding material directly to the flat pattern 
    Thanks for the suggestion John, however it doesn't seem like I can apply material to those faces of the flat pattern unless I'm missing something. I tried doing it both before and after finishing the sheet metal model, neither worked. I can sketch on those faces but not extrude it seems. What did you mean by adding material directly to the flat pattern?

• Options
    @wayne_sauder I was able to make it work similarly to how you suggested. Thanks for the help and the example, much appreciated.