Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feature Script for Woodwork Biscuit Joints

patrick_sheapatrick_shea Member Posts: 63 EDU
Question

I am trying to design some Woodwork projects for our Makerspace using Biscuit Joints, and found an Onshape script.  I seem to have a challenge getting it to work for me.  When I put the connection on the opposite end, they don't line up. Anyone using this script that can answer my question?

Pat 

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Please post a link to your model so we can see where the problem lies.
  • patrick_sheapatrick_shea Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Here is the link to another model, as I regrouped on the first one.  It appears to put one end measured for the top, and the other measured from the bottom.  In the example - I used the same part on both ends, but in this one I used separate parts (1 & 2).  You can see they match, but are at different offsets.

Pat

TEST BISCUIT JOINT | Part Studio 1 (onshape.com)

• patrick_sheapatrick_shea Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Here is the link to a test document I did, and you can see the elevation of the joints is different on each end.  It showed up on the original, because I used the same part on both ends.  I gave up on that one, and did a work around. But here is another model.  It would be nice to change the biscuit size for different applications.  The idea is great!!

TEST BISCUIT JOINT | Part Studio 1 (onshape.com)
  • nicholas_radzykewycznicholas_radzykewycz Member Posts: 30 PRO
    @patrick_shea The issue is in the featurescript for the biscuit joint. The opExtrude they use is always normal to the sketch plane which is related to the plane origin of the edge between the two parts to be joined and doesn't allow you to reverse the direction or set a symmetric parameter to the biscuits.

opExtrude(context, id + "extrude1", {
                    "entities" : qCreatedBy(id + "Biscuit_Joint_Sketch", EntityType.FACE),
                    "direction" :SketchPlane.normal,
                    "endBound" : BoundingType.BLIND,
                    "endDepth" : 2e-3*meter
            });

@martin_laabs Could you please update your biscuit joint featurescript to BoundingType.SYMMETRIC to help this gentleman with his symmetrical biscuit issue.