Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Set text in "text sketch" as part number from part properties?

Triton_EngineeringTriton_Engineering Member Posts: 14 PRO
Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is possible/know of a way to get the text in a "text sketch" to match the part's part number from the properties dialog (update automatically if part number is changed for example)?

We use onshape's auto generate part # feature.  We like to emboss these part #'s on the parts we 3D print and currently we simply manually enter the part # in the "text sketch" feature, then extude, etc. 

Looking for a way cleaner/more efficient way to match this text sketch to the part#.  From what I've seen it doesnt look like it is possible to "pull" the part# from properties in a part studio but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Currently, this is not possible, see this improvement request: getProperty
    Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Work around:
    If you generate the part number yourself with a custom feature or API, it is possible to give the part a new ID and Name automatically. However, this would not take advantage of Onshape built in part numbering.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Answers