Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

No way to configure standard content?!

eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
Just found out today that standard content can't be configured, which seems like a glaring omission!

I just wanted to have to different length of bolt in a configured assembly but apparently I can't do it with Onshape standard content...

So I guess I can either create a fastener model that is configurable or just have to supress/resolve different sizes (but that also means multiple sets of mates), any other workaround worth considering?

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited April 2022
    Yea, that is lacking.

Even if you could configure the length or material, there is still the bigger issue where you can't change the fastener type once set.

Since everything is mated with the Near/Far mate connectors. There should be no reason we couldn't configure between, hex head, button head, flat washer, lockwasher, Metric, ANSI.

I ended up making my own fasteners that are configurable in that way. So, I know it is possible with Onshape's powerful configuration tools.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    Yeah, I'd be ok with not being able to change the type, but the "last level" of dropdowns should be configurable ("size" and length being the critical ones)
  • Options
    thierry_maletthierry_malet Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

I ended up making my own fasteners that are configurable in that way. 
    Me too ! this sound like Solidworks toolbox !
    If you would be flexible, not use standard, and made yourself , big lake of time 

• Options
    thierry_maletthierry_malet Member Posts: 52 ✭✭