Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drive position of pullies by belt length

Oliver_NichollsOliver_Nicholls Member Posts: 3
edited April 2022 in Community Support
I am trying to drive the position of a pulley (red dim) based on a belt length (yellow). Is there any way to do this? 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Not sure there's a simple way to "drive" the length, the math isn't trivial.

The closest I can think is to use a "measure" feature to display the belt length and use the "final" button to get it to update "live" as you edit the sketch.

This makes it fairly easy to get what you want "one time" but won't help you if you want it to adjust automatically...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9044389820d6c6ade10c747e/w/8150185d2901bb76d53dc501/e/95c2a41e4c3c3945c50fcec1

Edit: thinking out loud but I do wonder if it would be possible to do a "goal seek" Featurescript that would automatically adjust one variable until another one reached a certain value... Don't know of the top of my head if FS can actually access "dowstream" data. I'm guessing not but I could be wrong. Maybe it could be built into the measure tool instead: give it a variable to change (upstream one) and a target value for the measured items maybe? 

Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Not sure there's a simple way to "drive" the length, the math isn't trivial.

The closest I can think is to use a "measure" feature to display the belt length and use the "final" button to get it to update "live" as you edit the sketch.

This makes it fairly easy to get what you want "one time" but won't help you if you want it to adjust automatically...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9044389820d6c6ade10c747e/w/8150185d2901bb76d53dc501/e/95c2a41e4c3c3945c50fcec1

Edit: thinking out loud but I do wonder if it would be possible to do a "goal seek" Featurescript that would automatically adjust one variable until another one reached a certain value... Don't know of the top of my head if FS can actually access "dowstream" data. I'm guessing not but I could be wrong. Maybe it could be built into the measure tool instead: give it a variable to change (upstream one) and a target value for the measured items maybe? 
  • Oliver_NichollsOliver_Nicholls Member Posts: 3
    That will do this time, Thankyou!