Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why can't I create a loft guide between two projected curves?

James3578James3578 Member Posts: 15
Why am I sitting here like an idiot trying to create planes and experiment with all kinds of stupid workarounds when I just need guides between projected curves so I can loft them. Is there something I'm missing? Or am I done with CAD for now?

Best Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You could consider using my Freeform Spline feature for the guide curves too. I assume it's failing because of self-intersection.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    You could consider using my Freeform Spline feature for the guide curves too. I assume it's failing because of self-intersection.
    I have seen your feature scripts. I think the things you've contributed to onshape are impressive. I'm using onshape to learn CAD and actually didn't think to try that, even though I added it to my custom features a long time ago. Surprisingly, the freeform spline feature can be added to projected curves. There doesn't need to be any pre existing points on the curve. This is a huge benefit to Onshape. Thanks so much, Evan.

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Have you tried bridging curves? 
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    @James3578

There are quite a few helpful people here in the forum

If nothing else, post the URL to your document, or take a screen shot, or get a piece of paper and a pen or pencil and make some kind of a diagram showing what it is that you want to accomplish. And then take a picture of the diagram and post it here

I wouldn’t be surprised if two or three people jump right in and show you how to go about it

• Options
    Have you tried bridging curves? 
    They will not attach to projected curves because there are no points on the curve except for the midpoint. 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I have seen your feature scripts. I think the things you've contributed to onshape are impressive. I'm using onshape to learn CAD and actually didn't think to try that, even though I added it to my custom features a long time ago. Surprisingly, the freeform spline feature can be added to projected curves. There doesn't need to be any pre existing points on the curve. This is a huge benefit to Onshape. Thanks so much, Evan.