Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I have more than 2 types of line within an OnShape Sketch?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
Hello

In OnShape Sketches, is there any way to mark up individual lines other than:
A) Ordinary unbroken line
B) Dashed construction lines?

BACKGROUND
I am wrapping a complex shape with bookcloth (over card). I using an OnShape Sketch, from which I then create an OnShape Drawing (at life size), which I then export to PDF, which I then print at life size and use as a template.

I need to mark up: 
1.The cut-lines for where bookcloth will be physically cut
2. The fold lines
3. The (rather complex) structures of the card underneath the bookcloth.

My problem is that each time I make changes to the Sketch itself, it updates whatever is in the Drawing...

Thanks!

J

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    Currently, there are only two types of lines in Sketches.

Here is an improvement request you can vote on that may allow more line types: Line types

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Done -  I have voted for that.

Meanwhile what workarounds exist?
    e.g. Maybe each of my line types could be put into a separate OnShape Sketch?

But if I do so, how can I fuse these different Sketches back together again into a single drawing?

J

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    Here is some terminology that may help: "Sketches" are within a part studio tab, "Drawing" views are stored within drawing sheets on a separate tab.

You can create multiple sketches of the different layers that you need, then create a drawing. While inside a drawing, sketches can be shown or hidden. You could have each sketch on its own page in the drawing. 

If you share a link to your document, it will make it easier to explain for this specific case.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Here is some terminology that may help: "Sketches" are within a part studio tab, "Drawing" views are stored within drawing sheets on a separate tab.

You can create multiple sketches of the different layers that you need, then create a drawing. While inside a drawing, sketches can be shown or hidden. You could have each sketch on its own page in the drawing. 

If you share a link to your document, it will make it easier to explain for this specific case.
    Thanks, yes I get all that... but the slight problem is that I want to create a final drawing with all the Sketches back on top of each other. 
    i.e. Is there an easy way to make sure that when import each of my Sketches into the same drawing that the end up exactly on top of each other?

AND for me to mark each different Sketch up in a different colour?

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    You can insert a view and show stetches in it (via the show/hide right click menu) rather than inserting multiple sketches in the drawing. This way they will be shown where they are in the model, however I don't think there is currently a way to change the colors so it will look the same in the drawing as if it was all in one sketch...
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    edited April 2022
    Composite parts made of curves (which can be made from sketches, I think) can be colored. They also act like parts, so you can assembly them if you want.
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @S1mon, please share an example.  I could not get color actually display on a composite part made of curves.  "Edit Appearance" was available in the right click menu, it just didn't seem to have any effect on the display.
  • Options
    @S1mon
    I forgot about that, I did color some curves in the past, however it looks like it's broken... Do you have any document currently showing colored curves?

I have one that used to show curves in different colors but they are showing up black now! Groups of curves used to be colored in this document!

• Options
    @eric_pesty
    Hmmm. Seems to be a regression. This was working for me, but the document where I had that working is no longer behaving.

I'll report it.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Yes definitely a regression, please report.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @NeilCooke

I've been told that supporting color for closed composite parts made up of curves was not intentional. Lou marked it as an improvement request. There was a bug recently, which got fixed, where they just disappeared if they were closed composites.

The color issue is here if you want to check in.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    It worked that way for well over a year that I know of including when I did the original face color “what’s new” video. Go figure. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @S1mon
    I also submitted a ticket and so Lou got at least two request for it today!
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Any update on this? I'm wanting this every so often, including today.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl